Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reflections

Wow it is hard to believe how fast time goes!! I am almost done with my first year here at Winona. This last year has been the biggest blessing, scariest yet most exciting and rewarding time of my life. I have grown so much closer to God through experiences that are too many to count. I have met amazing friends, and wonderful people along the way. I was diagnosed officially with my disease in December and have been doing wonderful since then. In just a few short weeks, I will be having my surgery which will be a full Sternotomy Thymectomy. For my readers who are not in medical school (don't worry, I am not either) that means I am having my Thymus gland and the tumor on it removed.
I have been so insanely blessed in ways I couldn't have even imagined. The night before I came to Winona, I had a conversation with my mom about how I just had a feeling that something significant was going to happen this year. Something special. I have had several special things happen so I couldn't pick just one that would be the one I was talking about that night. Some of my blessings this year include


  • Growing in my faith
  • Leading my friends to the Lord
  • Having FABULOUS RA's!!
  • Being able to work with the kids in the schools
  • Meeting all of the friends that I have
  • Getting to share my love for Jesus with others
  • Being able to walk again and getting to do normal activities with my friends without limitations
  • Seeing God clearly working in my heart and through people around me
  • Starting to see where my life is going
  • Being supported to unbelievable amounts by my family
  • Developing lifelong friendships
The list continues and keeps growing as I am continually blessed by God. 
As the year ends it is very bittersweet. I have enjoyed living in the dorm that I do with all of the wonderful people that I live with. I will miss them next year but look forward to seeing them on campus. 
It is so hard to believe I am almost a sophomore in college. It seems like I just graduated and was getting ready to leave home. Time flies. 


I hope that everyone is well. The flu and bad colds have been going around. Take care and God bless you all!!!! I will probably post one more time before my surgery but not much before then as the school year is coming to a fast and busy close. Love you all!!!
- Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. Yes, honey, it has been a wonderful year for you. God has been so faithful in many ways. HE has blessed you with new friends, unforgettable friendships and a trusting church. These are things that you will cherish forever. AND to think, HE is just beginning in your life. Can't imagine what next year will bring. We pray that God will guide you through these last weeks at school and help you get ready for the surgery and the summer ahead. HE will provide. Love ya,g

    ReplyDelete