Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

10 years ago today, I was sitting in my 3rd grade classroom, and listening to my teacher explain how there were bad people trying to hurt America. I remember going home that night being 8 years old and asking my mom if we were going to have a real live war with real live soldiers, and she said "yes honey, probably." That was when it hit me at 8 years old that something really big was happening. I also remember watching the TV with mom and dad and Bill Clinton came on and I said mommy he's not the president anymore, why is he talking? She explained that he was helping Mr. Bush. That night mom and dad went to the prayer service at church while we stayed with the neighbors. I still didn't understand the whole impact of what happened. I remember asking mom when she got home if bad people were going to come to our house. She said no because Jesus is protecting us, and if I was scared I should pray. She told me to pray for all the children who's mommies and daddy's died or had to go to war. I remember that night praying not only for them, but for the bad people and that they would know that Jesus loved them too.
As it is the 10 year memorial and I am 18 now, I obviously understand a lot more than I did at 8. Today Winona's concert choir put on the peace concert, which was really impactful. Then I went to church at 5, then at 7 I went to see the film United 93. That was the saddest movie I have ever seen. I cried so much after that. Everyone was crying. It was so sad. I watched on CNN the beautiful memorial fountain that opened up to the families of the victims. That was so powerful to see how beautiful that was, and that the families had a place to go and remember their loved ones. God is so good. I pray for the families of the victims, and I pray for peace and continued healing on them and this nation. We serve an amazing and powerful God who is capable of anything. God bless all of you and may you be well on this 10th anniversary of a wretched event.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sweetheart, Today is Friday and papa and I can just imagine the wonderful time you had with your Cohart friends. We hope it was inspirational and FUN....keep us posted on your activities.Knowing that mom, ashley and Marty are coming over on the weekend, you will be busy so will try and get in touch with you on Sunday. Josh and Walter are coming down on Sunday so our day will be busy as well. Talk to you later and love ya, gram

    ReplyDelete